Unravel by TK from Ling Tosite Sigure // Single Review

, ,

There isn't much to say about this single other than that it's perfect. The way the song starts makes you feel like you're floating and as the backtrack kicks in, you become overwhelmed by the energy and come crashing down to the ground. The guitar track is amazing but the real star of the show is the drum. I love how the drums, especially the bass drum and cymbals, never overpower the vocals or guitar and how there are just enough interesting fills to keep the listener's interest.

One of the most interesting parts of the song is when he screams "Let Me Go". He switches to a low, harsh vocal technique and it really stands out among the high, soft vocals he normally uses. The first time I got to that part, I literally got goosebumps. It just prepares you for what's to to come...which is the guitar solo. I don't think the guitar solo is all that amazing but I still really like it in the context of the song.

Contrast was an amazing introductory song to TK and has become one of my favourite songs of all time. After hearing Dramatic Slow Motion (a B-side on Contrast), I was wondering/hoping if he would make more rock-based songs. One would think his whispery vocals wouldn't stand out against the engulfing power and sheer volume of a rock accompaniment but the way he manipulates his voice just demands your attention. I also have to praise the audio mixing for that. Overall, I'm really impressed and my expectations definitely have gone up.

 
Support TK Through CDJapan